Monday, February 20, 2012

Easter 2009

Following my conversation with my PCP on Friday morning, I planned to have a small Easter celebration for just me.  I went to Good Friday services but had some stomach issues and had to leave.  Saturday I felt great and got dressed and embarked on my shopping trip.  I felt fine until I got to the store.  I began to feel very sick but got all of my groceries and drove home.  When I got home Maxie greeted me with his enthusiastic welcome.  I felt so bad that I didn't even get the groceries out of the trunk of my car.  I decided to lay down.  My sister Chris called around dinner and I told her that I had a stomach virus.  I was vomiting constantly and had the runs.  As I reflect this persisted all night but I didn't realize it.  I do recall bits of feeling so out of it and finding myself laying on the floor of my bedroom or bathroom with Maxie licking me.  Somehow I would manage to get back into bed.  I was aware that it was Easter so I couldn't call my family since they would be at church.  My sister Chris called, at what I thought was early morning, and I realized I needed help.  I asked her to call the paramedics.  Chris was so persistent in locating the local paramedics and even telling them where the hidden key was located.  Poor Maxie was so scared and so was I.  The paramedics came in and took control.  I still didn't realize I was in serious condition until they rolled me out and worked on me in the ambulance for a long time before transporting me.  I remember so vividly their call to the trauma center and saying they could even get a BP of 30...

After all of my previous trips to the ER I thought I knew the system but this was different.  I was taken to a room I had never seen before.  I had a dedicated nurse and doctor.  I was in and out but still not really knowing how bad I was.  Chris called my very dear friend Joanne and she left the Salem Red Sox game to come to the hospital.  I vaguely remember her being there but not much.  She left to go and rescue Maxie and take him to  the wonderful kennel who had cared for Maxie in all of my prior emergencies.  Needless to say he was scared beyond description.  Joanne has the way with animals and he finally came to her. 

After many hours in the ER I was moved to ICU.  The reality of the seriousness of my condition finally hit me.  I think back to my family asking me "didn't you think it was serious when they cut off your clothes?" I was spared the fear of knowing how bad I was.   Next is my days in the ICU unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment