On February 2, 2008 I awoke with terrible pain down my entire right arm. I thought I had a pinched nerve in my shoulder and made an appointment with my PCP, Lisa Deyerle, MD. She agreed and prescribed PT and I was able to be seen the same day. The PT was great but there was absolutely no relief from the pain. After several weeks, the PT did a series of exercises and pushed down on the top of my head (increased pain) and lifted my head from my chin and pain relief. She refused to do further PT until I had an MRI as she suspected I had a herniated cervical disc. Now the problem - my doctor's nurse called repeatedly to my insurance company and never had a response. Finally my doctor called and demanded to talk to the medical director. After weeks of delay, I finally had the MRI which confirmed that I had a herniated disc. I was referred to a neurosurgeon who immediately informed me I needed surgery. I asked about epidural injections and he said this would not help. OK, so I scheduled the surgery at a time when my sister Chris could come to Virginia. When I woke up from the surgery I expected to have pain but I had nothing but relief -yea!! Several days later my sister and I went out to breakfast. I ate a couple of bites and felt full and had major heartburn. This was the beginning of a long journey...
When I returned to work in May 2008, I was unable to eat very much which was so unlike me. The symptoms progressed to vomiting numerous times a day. My PCP referred me to a gastroenterologist. He ordered some kind of swallow test as the neck surgery could cause problems. I was told I passed with "flying colors". The problems persisted and I was losing weight so I went back to the gastro and he ordered a colonoscopy. I made arrangements to have a friend pick me up and she came early enough to talk to the gastro. Again, he said there was no problem. By the end of July I could hardly hold my head up at work and slept in my car at lunch. I was vomiting so violently that I could not even make it to the bathroom. Finally I went to the ER. The "wonderful" docs were ready to discharge me when I threw a fit. I was admitted and tests began anew.
After several days they performed a repeat colonoscopy/endoscopy. I still vividly remember the hospitalist coming in and telling me I had Collegenous Sprue. My gastro told me that this was very serious and several years earlier would have resulted in death. I was discharged on TPN (liquid nutrition) delivered through my port. Depression set in immediately. I have never seen so many commercials for pizza, subs, etc. which were forever off limits for me.
I was discharged shortly before Labor Day. I had planned to go to Cincinnati for the holiday. My girlfriends and I had a tradition of spending a day during the Holiday weekend at a lovely outdoor cafe. I was grieving the loss of my visit with my family and friends and the reality of a life with no gluten/wheat. Wow, was I surprised when my friends decided to come to Virginia to visit me. My next challenge was how would I get my house in shape to have visitors. Yet again I was surprised when my dear friend Joanne said she would come over and help me clean and declutter. Finally my girlfriends got to see my house and decorating. I really enjoyed entertaining but that was not the way I wanted it. Even illness did not stop me from responding to my work responsibilities. I got a call from my VP who was in a panic since a hurricane was expected to strike Houston and we had numerous stores in the path and he needed the hurricane plan. I left my friends and went into the office to send this to him so that he could assure the executive team that we had a solid plan if effect.
I returned to work and continued with the TPN for nutrition to keep me nutritionally balanced. I wanted to be rid of the TPN but knew that was a step-down process. I couldn't wait to get back to Cincinnati for Christmas. I drove with my dog as my co-pilot. All was well until we were about 25 miles from "home". I noticed that I seemed to be skidding and realized that the rain was freezing on the roads. Those final miles took me 2 hours but we were "home" and safe and got the welcome my newest great nephew Josh, who surprised everybody by arriving 6 weeks early. I was so sad to say goodby to my family friends as I left to drive back to Virginia. So ended 2008 - what a year!
No comments:
Post a Comment